, ,

Under 9 Round 6 Mayne Vs Everton Blue

Beautiful sunny conditions greeted the mighty Mayne Tigers for their home game against Everton Blue. A strong breeze estimated to be worth about 3 goals was running down the length of the ground and Captain Harrison Corser decided that the Tigers would kick into the breeze for the 1st qtr.

From the first bounce it was clear that the Tigers were on with the ball immediately coming out of the middle and into the forward line. The forwards of Henry, Archie, Brodie, Lachie and Blair were feasting on entry after entry and it wasn’t long before Mayne scored the first major of the day when Brodie slotted a fine effort through the big sticks. From the bounce the Everton defence was immediately under renewed pressure and Mayne were starting to play some razzle dazzle footy that many a Broadway chorus line would have been happy with. Henry taking the ball with his back to goal handpassed over his head to Brodie who quickly snapped at goal just missing what would have been a spectacular major. The only time Everton were able to get the ball down into their forward line the Mayne defence was brilliant with some great defensive work particularly by Charlie and Zavier saving certain goals.

The second quarter started and Mayne now had the wind at their backs. Unfortunately Everton went a man down late in the first quarter and Harry volunteered to play the remainder of the game in the Everton colours. This appeared to bolster Everton’s midfield and led to a much tougher contest with the ball going end to end. Late in the quarter Mayne were able to get on top with Harrison and Hudson both scoring majors after some great forward pressure from Lucas and Kai.

The third quarter saw Everton come out of the blocks with two quick goals which seemed to catch the Tigers by surprise. Everton again were playing Harry in the midfield but Mayne were soon aware to this with Archie and Lachie tagging up and paying some close attention to their former team mate laying a particular crunching tackle. In the forward line Alistair, Charlie, Zavier and Finnlay were doing their best to lock the ball in and put the Everton defence under mounting pressure. Unfortunately for all the boy’s good work Mayne just couldn’t buy a goal during this period.

The final quarter got under way with Mayne coming out of the blocks with some tenacious tackling across the entire park. In the centre Lucas was throwing himself at everything and was well supported by Kai who was getting from contest to contest. The ball was going from end to end with both sides registering minor scores with Blair unlucky not to register the first major. Luckily late in the quarter Archie was awarded a free in front of goal and ensured the Mayne got the chocolates by going back and kicking the goal.

A resounding rendition of the club song was sung as the Tiger’s celebrated another hard fought victory with the tenacity shown on the field only matched by that shown when Lachie’s mum brought out the packet of snakes to make up for the halftime oranges. Well done to our Captain Harrison who set a new benchmark and Lucas who had his best game of the season.